Every day millions of students use school buses as transportation to and from school. Although school buses represent the safest form of highway transportation, there are a number of safety factors of which both student and drivers should be aware. Children are often eager to get off the school bus because they are excited to tell their parents about all of the fun they had at school that day.
It is crucial that parents re-enforce the school bus safety rules children learn at school. We also suggest that parents drive their child’s bus route with them to practice the proper safety precautions they can take to help ensure their child enjoys a safe ride to and from school.
* Remember that children are unpredictable in their actions. Take extreme caution when traveling in a school zone.
* If there are no sidewalks, drive cautiously. Be more alert to the possibility of children walking in the road.
* Slow down and prepare to stop whenever you see yellow school bus lights flashing.
* Never pass a school bus when there are flashing red lights and the stop arm is extended. This is a sign that children are getting on or off the bus. Motorists must wait until the red lights stop flashing, the stop arm is withdrawn, and the bus is moving before they can start driving again.
* Learn and obey the school bus laws in North Carolina.
Source: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Remember…your School Resource Officers are here to serve students, parents, and school staff. Please let us know how we can be of assistance. Have a great year!