AAA estimates that 1 in 3 Americans will be traveling this holiday season. If you're one of those people who will be hitting the road, we encourage you to take a few minutes to review these safety tips:
1. Make sure your home is secure. If you have an alarm system, check the batteries, and don't forget to enable the alarm before you leave. Consider having a friend or neighbor check in on your home while you're away.
2. If you're planning to travel by car, get your car inspected and/or serviced before your trip. Prepare an emergency kit which should include jumper cables, flares or a reflective triangle, an ice scraper, a blanket, a cell phone charger, and a map. Plan your drive ahead of time and know alternative routes.
3. If you'll be traveling by plane, review TSA's travel tips: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips. Share your itinerary with friends and family, and don't forget to pack a small emergency kit that includes a flashlight, batteries, and a USB power bank.
4. If you'll be traveling with a pet, be sure to add a few items to your emergency kit such as water and pet food. You may also want to consider including a toy or blanket to help alleviate stress.
5. Please, Please, Please….Don’t Drink And Drive!
It has been a great 2018 for the Transylvania County Sheriff’s Office, and we are looking forward to a wonderful 2019 as well. We are very thankful to have the privilege of serving the greatest community anywhere.
From all of us here at TCSO, we wish you a very safe, happy, healthy, and prosperous new year!